Following the club’s EGM on 18 July 2017, the members agreed unanimously to change the club statutes to be able to organise different events throughout the year, under the umbrella of the Irish Club of Luxembourg. The scope of such events has been widened to include social, cultural, tourism-related, educational and sporting activities.
This does not mean that the new committee is there to organise any event that a member proposes; however, if a member presents an idea to the committee, we will help the club member to organise it, as long as it fits in with the new statutes and the budget is approved in advance.
To help achieve this, the committee now needs to meet only quarterly, instead of monthly, removing some of the bureaucracy involved previously. We also have new blood on the committee, with Darren Gorman the new Treasurer, and Ken King also on the committee. To provide continuity (on the committee), Mimmi Oedman is the Vice-President, Fiona Mulhern is the Secretary and Carrie Milne is a committee member.
The new committee has met and has agreed a number of events over the coming months, including the following:
– BIFS (British & Irish Film Season): the club is organising this, with the support of G-Media: the festival runs from 20-30 September, with 17 feature films being screened – see www.bifilmseason.lu
– Cinema Outing: the club is attending the screening of The Secret Scripture by Jim Sheridan on Friday 22 September at 20:30 at the Cinémathèque, with a meal beforehand at 18:30 at Mamacita – see www.irishclub.lu
– Children’s Christmas Party on Sunday 10 December at the BlackStuff Irish Pub at 14:30 – see www.irishclub.lu
– Christmas Meal – details to be announced shortly
– St Patrick’s event – we are currently looking at what format the event should take
– Relais pour la Vie – the Irish Club will organise Team Ireland again in 2018 (end March)
– Sponsored Walk – Sunday 24 April – Save the Date!
One last thing – we are looking at updating / replacing our club logo – so if any member has an eye for a catchy design, please contact us with your ideas (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mise le meas,
Geoff Thompson, President of the Irish Club of Luxembourg
Upcoming Club Events
Events organised by other Irish organisations in Luxembourg
organised byon 25/10/2017 at 19:00 - 22:30